Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chronicles the Second Time Around

Here we go again . . . I've decided to read II Chronicles for my next book. Actually I've already started. hehe . . . I've been a little worded out lately, but I'll do my best to keep this blog updated regularly with my most recent adventures through . . . not genealogy . . . but the beginning of Solomon's reign and the building of the temple.

In flipping through the book I've not noticed any genealogy yet . . . hmmm . . . we'll see. Perhaps it's all story. That would be cool . . . as much as I do enjoy learning the meaning to those hard-to-pronounce Biblical names. lol. (Btw, I wasn't be sarcastic . . . I do like learning name meanings.)

OK, well, let me say a little bit about what I read yesterday in chapter one.

The first chapter of II Chronicles begins with the famous story of God asking Solomon what he would like. Solomon didn't ask for riches or honor, he asked for wisdom. I never knew this before, I don't think any pastor has ever brought this up in a sermon I've listened to, but Solomon was seriously nervous. He didn't know how he was going to lead the nation he had just been made king over.

Just before God asked Solomon to name anything he wanted, Solomon had been seeking God with his assembly of captains and leaders of Israel. They went up to where the ark of God was and Solomon "offered a thousand burnt offerings on" the alter there (1:6).

That night is when God appeared to Solomon said, "Ask! What shall I give you?" (1:7.)

Imagine God asking this? I remember as a kid how my friends and I would always ask each other what we'd say if we were granted one wish.

"I'd ask for a thousand more!" Came our "clever" response each time. Thankfully Solomon was more mature than us.

If you read the chapter you can hear the uneasiness he is feeling at taking up the leadership of Israel.

He said to God, "You have made me king over a people like the dust of the earth in multitude" (1:9).

I'd be overwhelmed too!

And so he asked for the one thing he knew he couldn't survive being king without . . .

"Now give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people; for who can judge this great people of Yours?" (1:10.)

Now . . . here's the cool thing. Because he didn't ask for riches or glory, God gave him those as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment