Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Taking Ownership

I'm not sure why numbering the poeple was wrong for David to do. But it was and the cost of that mistake cost 70,000 men's lives . . . which I don't understand either. But there are some things that David said in this chapter that I thought were powerful. He realized he was wrong and so when Gad, one of his seers came to him with three options of punishment from God David said something quite profound.

"Please let me fall into the hand of the LORD, for His mercies are very great; but do not let me fall into the hand of man." (21:13)

David also realized that what had been done was his fault and not the peoples' who he served. He prayed, "O LORD my God, be against me and my father's house, but not against your people that they should be plagued." (22:17)

And then the third thing that wowed me was when he was instructed to go and build an alter to God in this one guy's field. David asked the guy if he could buy it to build that alter to God. He was wanted to pay the guy the full price but the guy (Ornan) said he would just give it to David. Blessing, right? You'd think David would say 'Praise God, I don't have to buy the field!' Nope! Not at all and for good reason too. This is what he actually said.

"No, but I will surely buy it for the full prince, for I will not take what is yours for the LORD, nor offer burnt offerings with that which costs me nothing." (22:24)

The last part is what is key to me. How can an offering be an offering if you really aren't offering what is yours? Or a sacrifice be a sacrifice when you really aren't sacrificing in order to give it?

David was wrong, yes, but he wasn't completely dumb. To me David portrays what it is to be a great leader in this chapter because he knew where to turn: God. He knew who's fault it was and took ownership of his sin. And he also knew that God deserved (deserves) the very best with no short cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment