Saturday, August 27, 2011

My Life: A Spring of Water?

I sat there on the rock next to the babbling creek not sure what I was going to discover. Pastor Brennon sent us out to find our own spot to read and pray and see what God would say to us.

As I opened up my Bible, I didn't really know what to look for or what to read. It was more of the "just flip it open and read" moment. But what I found was amazing to me.

I found myself reading in Isaiah 35. The chapter was about a desert land becoming a paradise.

"Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert. The burning sand will become a pool and the thirsty ground bubbling springs." (Isaiah 35:6b-7.)
Every other verse seemed to be talking about water and not only just water but water coming from a parched land!

I read and read and read . . . chapter after chapter in Isaiah with this same theme . . . it was almost like a drink of water for me . . . as if I was dying of thirst. Because in a way I was.

My summer was really intense, especially toward the end of it. If you kept up with the blog you'd notice there were less posts through the end of July and all of August. There just wasn't a lot for me to say. I was pretty parched—spiritually and emotionally.

And then I went on the Campus Ministries retreat . . . and it was like my life . . . my parched land . . . was now experiencing its first downpour in months. Finally some flowers began to grow and bloom again.

"Gladness and joy with overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away." (Isaiah 35: 10b).
Life is by no means suddenly perfect . . . ha . . . that would be cool but real life doesn't work like that! But I know that it's for real when God says He won't give us more than we can handle and He will be always with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment