Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Man, Psalm 73 Is Deep

So yesterday as I was browsing my Facebook news feed I read a post from one of my friends that said, "Man Psalm 73 is deep."

I was, "huh?" I've read that one before . . . back in 9th grade. But couldn't remember anything standing out to me so I went back and read it again and to see what my friend was talking about.

The chapter talks about what a lot of people who want to serve God go through . . . wondering where He is when the wicked are prospering while His followers are scraping around just to make ends meet. Doesn't seem fair, right . . . the author of this Psalm didn't think so either.

The whole first part of the Psalm is talking about how this guy is basically jealous of the wicked because they have everything they want and more. He's questioning God (which isn't always a bad thing to do . . . because like this guy . . . you usually get answers); he wants to know why he has lived for God all these years and not had half the blessings the wicked have. He starts to think that he had made his way pure for nothing.

"Surely I have cleansed my heart in vain, And washed my hands in innocence." Verse 13

And then he goes to the sanctuary and understands that the wicked may look like they have it all together yet God will not put up with it, and the man writing discovers he hasn't "cleansed his heart in vain."

When he realizes this he feels so stupid for ever doubting God (and I really liked the way he said this . . . it actually made me laugh when I read it because it was so real).

"I was so foolish and ignorant; I was like a beast before You." Verse 22

In the end the psalmist realized that God was the only one he could rely on, and that God would be the one there for him in the end. My favorite verses of the chapter are these . . .

"Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Verses 25 & 26

So, yeah . . . Psalm 73 is deep . . . it's deep (to me) because it says everything that I've said a million time . . . "God, wheeere are YOU?! Oh . . . that's were . . . stupid me!" haha . . . it's true . . . and I'm so thankful He still sicks me after all that.

Thanks, God. : D

(And thanks, Matt, for the FB post . . . haha . . . otherwise I probably would have never come back to this Psalm!)

No comments:

Post a Comment