Thursday, October 1, 2015

Back At This Blog Again

“Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.” 1 Corinthians 1:10 KJV

Like many others, I’ve been slacking in reading the Bible. It’s kinda painful to even write that statement. Like admitting that I’ve been slacking is somehow sacrilegious or something. But I hear the truth sets you free, so I’m not going to let the guilt stop me. 

How I feel when I commit to things long term.
PC: Christopher Campbell
Anyway, I remember when I was blogging about what I read each morning, that I actually . . . Read. Each. Morning. So I figured that’s the best way for me to do this. However, I’ve also been going through a bit of a “fear of commitment” stage in life. So committing to reading a particular book or chapter just seems a bit overwhelming. I thought I’d just take the daily verse from my Bible app and write about that.

I guess that’s okay except for the fact that I like to know things in context . . . so that doesn’t really give me that. Anyway, some of the verses do alright standing alone. This one, however, I think it needs more to it in order to really understand or take in the full meaning. Like who is the writer talking to? Who is the writer? What setting is this? I don’t know. If I take the verse like this, it seems like the writer just wants a bunch of “group thinkers,” but I don’t really think that’s what he’s wanting.

I guess I’ll read the whole chapter . . . or enough to know the context of this verse.

So the writer is Paul.

And as you might have guessed, he’s talking to the church in Corinth.

And what’s going on is that the people are all divided and saying things like, “I’m of Paul,” or “I’m of Apollos,” or “I’m of Christ,” similarly to the way some of us would say, “I’m a follower of this guy’s theology” and then name someone like Doug Bachelor or Stephen Bohr (verse 12).

But Paul didn’t approve of this. He wanted everyone to be on the same page in their theology as well as not claiming they were following specific men.

He asks, “Is Christ divided?” and “Was Paul crucified for you?”

I think those are pretty good questions.


Anyway, this is what the verse was about . . . not picking sides based on men but getting on the same page behind Christ.

Seems like a good argument.

Okay .  .  . that's all for today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment