Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Two Days In Haggai

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the minor prophets. I prefer stories. And while there's some of that in those smaller books, it's mostly prophesying. But, I'm reading Haggai because he was the prophet during Ezra's time and his whole book (all two chapters of it) are about Zerubbabel and the building of the temple.

OK, so now that my preface is done (haha), I'll write what was actually interesting about chapter 1.

Apparently, the people had some nice homes while the temple laid in ruins. This displeased God. He wanted to get the people's attention so He stopped blessing them as much. "You Looked for much, but indeed it came to little; and when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why?" says the LORD of hosts. "Because of My house that is in ruins, while every one of you runs to his own house" 1:9.

That might sound harsh but, when you think about it and after reading Ezra and Nehemiah, the people didn't really have to pay for the rebuilding of the temple. God had the other nations pay for it plus the king who ruled over them gave back their temple belongings. So, really . . . c'mon people! Why would someone ever think that it wasn't right to provide the very best for the God that takes the very best care of them?

Gotta look at life from above the world's perspective to really see it clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment